Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Travelling around....


Above is the Pentalina, the ferry that sails from St Margaret's Hope in South Ronaldsay to Gills Bay on the Orkney Mainland.

Here is Cromarty Square in the village of St Margaret's Hope


The countryside around Hoxa, I love these lupins, though they are the cultivated variety....


Fields of buttercups at Hoxa too...


And a lovely beach, popular with visitors


And a bit of a surprise as I turned a corner..... this gentleman had the most stunning display of flowers and - Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs! A touch of Disney in Orkney.


While in Hoxa we visited the Hoxa Tapestry Gallery of Leila Thomson. I love her work and dream of owning a piece, but for now I content myself with cards and prints.

On another rather greyer day we visited Maes Howe in Stenness...... This is a magnificent chambered cairn dating from about 2700BC. To enter the cairn you have to stoop low (even me!) and walk down a long narrow passage. This is aligned to allow the last rays of the mid-winter sun as it slips down behind the hills of Hoy to shine down the passage way and light up the rear wall of the chamber. No photography was allowed inside so to read more click on this link.


Um..... that is the one day it rained!!  Welcome to an Orkney Summer ;-)


And on returning to Stromness we saw a small cruise ship sailing out of the harbour.....(the weather cleared up in the afternoon so I hope the visitors had a good time around Stromness).


More of our travelling adventures to follow.....

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar